Thursday, September 1, 2011

Quote:
"In thinking about the effects of new communication media on language, we need to distinguish between "may fly" language (here today, gone tomorrow) and changes that are more substantial."(Baron, 2009)


Reaction:
After reading the article, I was kinda surprised. I figured that with all the texts messages and emails that people send and receive, that there would be more misuses of spelling and grammar. The studies that are in the article about how many college students actually spell out words instead of using lingo or shortened words is interesting. I thought for sure that it would be a lot higher because they are always in a hurry to get stuff done and not wanting to type out the entire word. I have a young son and he texts all the time, and there are several times when he will text me and I don't know what he is saying with some of the abbreviations. 


Reference:
Baron, N(2009). Are digital media changing language?. Educational Leadership,66(6), 42-46.


Related Source:
link
Since the article was talking about how things such as sending texts and Facebook was changing how we use language and words, I thought it would be good to see what I could find on the subject.

5 comments:

  1. I was also suprised that their weren't more spelling or grammer errors in text messanging. If students are actually thinking about spelling the words out and making sure that they're using the proper grammer then thats good and it shows that we know the skills that we were taught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I was surprised also, but once I sat down and thought about it, it makes sense. Our phones automatically fix misspelled words. Even our computer tools fix gramatical errors. I am glad college kids especially pay attention to what their phones are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like you I was very surprised and I believe that I mentioned this subject in my blog as well. College students are always on the go and ready to find the easy way out of things. This passage made me think about how text lingo is so different. I get texts and emails from friends using this language and I have to ask them what the heck they said. I'm from a place with no cell service so all this language is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it shows that young people know how to adjust their language use according to the and audience they are writing for! That is an important 21st century skill and supported by the National Council of Teachers of English!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother used to be a horrible speller and I have noticed that since he has started texting his spelling has improved. He uses the T9 function on his phone which I thought would make his spelling even worse because of the automatic corrections, but his everyday spelling has actually improved as well!

    ReplyDelete