Quote:
“Our present aim is to raise awareness of the problems caused by the irregularity of English spelling. We DO NOT support solutions.”(Shea, 2010).
Reaction:
After reading the article I have mixed feelings. I think that there could be things done to improve spelling scores for students. There have been suggestions that the spelling of certain words be changed so they are spelled more like they sound. My question for that would be, when do you start this if it were to ever happen? How do you tell people that the way they have been spelling words is no longer the way to spell them. Some suggest that text lingo will help with the spelling reform. That it will help people to recognize that the spelling of words need to be easier. I'm not sure that I agree that people sending texts will help to reform anything, I may totally be wrong and sometime in my teaching career I may see a change in spelling.
Related Link:
http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2010/05/who-decides-how-we-spell.html
Reference:
Shea, A. (2010, january 22). The keyboard solution. The New York Times Magazine.
I really enjoyed the quote that you used, and I also feel the same way you do..
ReplyDelete