Sunday, October 9, 2011

why teach media literacy

Quote:
Researchers find that reading for understanding online requires the same skills as offline reading, including using prior knowledge and making predictions, plus a set of additional critical-thinking skills that reflect the open-ended, continually changing online context(David, 2009).


Reaction:
Research going on today not only suggests that we need to make children proficient readers in text books but also on the internet and using web pages. After reading the the research part of the article I was surprised at how many kids were required to use the internet at school to so work. I think that if we are going to be having kids use the internet that they do need to be able to recognize the good and bad of the web sites. 


Links:
on this website the author talks about what we should do to help our children learn about media literacy, it doesn't necessarily say its the teacher's job but more of the parents. But I still thought it was good information.  




Citations:
David, J. (2009). Teaching media literacy. Literacy 2.066(6), 84-86. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar09/vol66/num06/Teaching-Media-Literacy.aspx


Farrell, N. (2011, June 23). The importance of teaching our children media literacy. Retrieved from http://www.onlinesecurityauthority.com/parenting/importance-teaching-children-media/

2 comments:

  1. I total agree with you! By keeping kids media illiterate it is not helping them it is hurting them in their school work. Also the knowledge that children are missing out on. They could google things that they are doing in class and get a better understanding of that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you if we suspect our children to use internet so much in our classes we should make them knowledgeable on how to work the internet. It will help them find correct information which will give them a greater understanding of what they are learning.

    ReplyDelete